The two Ipu Safe filters are manually maintained to block users who make offensive statements against Māori, use racism, or who are known trolls of Māori Twitter users. The second filter blocks offensive key words that heavily populate search fields for Māori related words.
A. Blocked Twitter user accounts.
Download the latest Ipu Safe Filter here. (Last updated January 18 2018).
To import the Ipu Safe block list:
- Download the Ipu Safe block list.
- Navigate to your blocked account settings on twitter.com
- Click the Advanced options drop-down menu.
- Select Import a list.
- In the pop-up, click on Attach a file to upload and find the ipusafe.csv file.
- Click Open to import the list.
- The file name ipusafe.csv will be displayed when the file has been successfully imported.
- Click Preview. The list of the accounts will be displayed. You can uncheck any accounts you do not wish to block (accounts that you currently follow will be automatically unchecked).
- Click Block to confirm.
- The imported accounts will be added to your block list.
B. Offensive word List Block
The text file can be copied and pasted into your application filters. Instructions for Twitter.com and TweetDeck are below.
- Click Settings and privacy from your profile image drop-down.
- Click Muted words.
- Click Add.
- Enter the word or hashtag you’d like to mute. Entries can only be added one at a time.
- Select Notifications if you wish to mute the word or phrase from your Notifications.
- Specify From anyone or From only people I don’t follow.
- Under For how long? choose Forever.
- Click Add.
- You will see the mute time period indicated next to each entered word or hashtag.
Send your block list or make a sugestion
You can DM me or add the hashtag #ipusafe . Alternatively, use the Contact page.
Q. What constitutes an offensive Twitter account?
A. This is a community based filter that is moderated as Māori society is so diverse. But, racist, xenophobic, anti Māori, anti Treaty, anti Te Ao Māori will be blocked.
Q. Who is the moderator?
A. At this stage only @ktaiuru. If you are interested in assisting, DM.
Q. What if I disagree with an account being blocked?
A. You can edit and select the list once imported. See the help section above or in Twitter.
Q. Is the filter political or religious based.
A. No, the list is apolitical for New Zealand political parties, and apatheist.
Q. My account is in the blocked filter, Why?
A. If you think there has been a mistake, DM @ktaiuru