Macrons for Mac OSX (older than Lion)
To enable macrons to be created in Mac OSX systems that are older than Lion.
1. Launch the System Preferences application
2. Navigate to Language & Text, then the Input Sources tab
3. Find Māori on the list and tick the checkbox next to it
4. Tick the box next to “Show Input menu in menu bar”
5. From the Input menu in the menu bar (near the upper right corner of the screen), select “Māori”
6. You can now create macrons by pushing the ` then the vowel or or hold down Option/Alt + vowel.