Sir Mason Durie
- Māori academics have two major challenges: to be great academics judged by worldwide standards, and to be relevant to Māori. (2015). Kātene, Selwyn. Fire that Kindles Hearts. Steele Roberts Publishers.
- The wealth of an Iwi is by itself a reliable measure of a well Iwi. (Te Riorito 2017)
- A beautiful marae is not the sole determinant of a well hapu. (Te Riorito 2017)
- A whanau who are rich in te reo Māori is not always a sign that the whanau are well. (Te Riorito 2017)
- Good leaders join networks so that their followers can have greater opportunities. Bad leaders develop walls so that outsiders can not get in and insiders can not get out.